Typically, pharmacists are focused on dispensing medications and educating patients. But retail pharmacies also sell other types of merchandise.
This merchandise, which includes over-the-counter drugs, opens another significant source of income, with profit margins that are often higher than that of prescription medications. Having a variety of merchandise in one place makes it more convenient for shoppers, which also adds to revenue because people tend to shop and get their prescriptions filled at one location. A person may visit a pharmacy to buy some household goods and also decide to fill a prescription there, and vice versa.
So, when thinking about a pharmacy store layout, you need to consider the merchandising aspect of the business.
Here are 7 tips on pharmacy merchandising:
- Keep the store environment clean and straightforward, providing a pleasant and reassuring experience for the customer. That means having adequate and up-to-date signs to show the location of particular items and keeping the entranceway bright and open. Playing soft music also adds to the experience. The aisles should be long and straight.
- Offer a wide range of items for the convenience of customers to encourage one-stop-shopping.
- Make sure a price is listed for all items. This is usually done using a tab affixed to the shelving. It is easier to see black type on white paper.
- Conduct regular analysis of your sales to determine what items customers want and what they are buying.
- Offer promotions to encourage customers to buy more and different items.
- Pay special attention to cleanliness. A store with a shabby appearance will drive customers away.
- The presentation of the merchandise is essential. Items should be arranged neatly on the shelves. Other displays and promotions should be arranged neatly and symmetrically to give a good appearance. Items on shelves should be facing outward so the labeling is clearly visible, pulled forward to the edge of the shelf, and organized in a straight line.
Following these tips will encourage the customer loyalty all pharmacies want.
Looking to recruit top pharmacists?
Rx relief is one of the top recruiting firms for pharmacists, taking a personalized approach to each of the pharmacy professionals we place. Rx relief is certified by the Joint Commission and has received a Best of Staffing award, based on the votes of healthcare client organizations and pharmacists. If your organization is looking for pharmacists, contact Rx relief today.