Top Pharmacy Schools
If you’re looking to become a pharmacist, your first thought might be to apply to the best program in the country.
This isn’t necessary, of course. The 129 pharmacy schools in the country (as of July 2012, with 124 accredited and 5 waiting for accreditation) include many fine programs that will never make it to a top 10 list but nevertheless will provide you with a terrific education.
Still, we all tend to love the top. So here are some lists from various places that rank the best pharmacy schools/programs in the country.
USNews.com has ranked the following as the top 10. (Note that there are 14, due to a tie for the 5th, 7th and 10th spots.)
- University of California, San Francisco (#1)
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (#2)
- University of Minnesota (#3)
- University of Texas, Austin (#4)
- University of Kentucky (#5)
- University of Wisconsin, Madison (#5)
- Ohio State University (#7)
- Purdue University (#7)
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (#7)
- University of Arizona (#10)
- University of Southern California (#10)
- University of Utah (#10)
- University of Washington (#10)
EducationPortal.com has a slightly different list, ranking the following schools within the top three:
- Ohio State University (#1)
- Purdue University (#2)
- University of California, San Francisco (#3)
The website also lists the following “good” pharmacy schools (no rankings):
- University of Arizona
- University of Illinois
- University of Iowa
- University of Kentucky
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- University of Southern California
The Institute of Higher Education at Shangai Jiao Tong University ranked the top pharmacy programs in the world as:
- Harvard University (#1)
- University of California, San Francisco (#2)
- University of Washington (#3)
These are just rankings, of course. As mentioned above, there more than likely is a pharmacy school – whether it’s listed as a “top” program or not – that’s perfect for you. Check out the entire list at the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy’s pharmacy school locator.
Do you agree with the rankings listed above? If your school isn’t listed there, do you think it should be? If so, why?
If you’re an experienced pharmacist or pharmacy technician looking for new opportunities, check out the open positions we have listed. Then send your resume/CV to an Rx relief® recruiter today. We look forward to hearing from you.